Last night before going to sleep I had an epiphany. Ok, maybe not an epiphany, but a dream. What would be the ultimate do-it-yourself meal? That would have to be a meal from which you baked the bread on which the lettuce, you grew, was placed, and goat cheese spread you also made, was served with beer you brewed at home. If I had my own garden and space to home brew, it would be quite the DIY meal. I guess technically everything at that meal wasn’t home made, but it would be pretty darn close.
In doing some quick basic searches, I found that there a ton of blogs, like Urban Organic Gardener, which help those who live in the city (you’ll at least need a balcony or tons of light) grow delicious tomatoes and other herbs. In fact, there is actually a magazine called Urban Gardener which is devoted to this. Personally, I’m hoping for a house to grow more seriously, but that is a start. When it comes to home brewing, there are tons of sites to find starter kits, like Northern Brewer, to help a first time brewer. Brewing at home and microbrewing in general has taken off in this country. You can’t go to any bar these days without lots of craft beers on tap.
Some day I hope to have the resources and space available to complete both of these, plus, a continued interest in home bread baking. Anyway, now a few assorted links and recipes…
- In and Out Burger coming to Dallas?? Not fair!
- Google now offering a “recipe” search function, what doesn’t google have??
- Serious Eats gives us the best sandwiches in NYC under $6.
- Roasted Chicken Thighs with Lemon and Fennel from The Kitchn
- H & H Bagels files fro Chapter 11 – Most OVERRATED bagel in New York
- Eater gives us the best bành mí in Manhattan, giving me options for round 2
- Tomato Basil Soup from the Nordstrom’s Cafe – yea, I used to eat it a lot as a kid